Responsible for management and administration of all phases of a varsity intercollegiate sports program and team, within the guidelines, rules and regulations established by the University, Sunshine State Conference, and NCAA
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Supports the University’s mission and athletic department core values of SPIRIT, SERVICE and STRENGTH
- Recruits high quality student-athletes.
- Organizes, supervises, coordinates, and evaluates practice sessions.
- Adheres to rules and regulations of the University, SSC, and NCAA.
- Assumes responsibility for bringing his/her staff and team to the event physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared for competition.
- Maintains self-control and exhibits sportsmanship in relations with staff, players, officials, opponents, and spectators during competitive events.
- Is receptive to high school prospects, alumni, and friends of the University.
- Uses all possible ethical means of motivation, emphasizes means of motivation and values of competitive athletics, acceptable personal behavior, decision making, and lasting values to the individual.
- Supervises full time assistant coaches, graduate assistants, and volunteer coaches.
- Plans for transportation, travel, lodging, and meals for team for competition.
- Follows University and departmental policies on matters relating to requisitioning and purchasing. Manages and works with given budgets.
- Works closely with trainer and team physician regarding well-being of student-athlete.
- Participates and contributes to athletics fundraising and community building.
- Schedules games and events as delegated and as outlined in the Policies and Procedures manual.
- Cooperates with the athletic administration in the implementation of Department operational procedures.
- Must represent the Lynn University Department of Athletics in a manner that will enhance and promote confidence in the athletic program.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Coaches association membership and certification preferred.
- Coaching licenses preferred in particular sports programs.
- CPR/AED certification renewed by the university every two years.
- Coaching outdoor sports requires acceptance of myriad weather factors.
- Coaching indoors and in an office location within an athletics environment requires acceptance of a noisy work environment.
- Masters Degree (M.A.) or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous collegiate coaching experience required.