The head men’s basketball coach is responsible for the implementation of a competitive men’s basketball program. This role will be responsible for coaching, recruiting, training, supervising, and retention of student-athletes. They will recommend the hiring of an assistant coach and provide direct supervision to an assistant coach and related staff. The head men’s basketball coach will be required to uphold compliance of all College, United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) policies. Will report directly to the AVP for Athletics.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Recruit student-athletes according to USCAA, NAIA, and Admissions procedures.
- Responsible for the supervision of all team practices, contests, and off-season programs.
- Prepares game schedules, practices, travel plans, and training sessions.
- Responsible for the program’s annual operational budget.
- Ensure all student-athletes succeed academically, athletically, and leaderly.
- Participate in community activities to promote the student-athletes, team, and department.
- Maintain scholarship requirements based on SMWC and NAIA upper limits.
- Adhere to rules set forth by the Athletic Code of Conduct, USCAA, and NAIA.
- Develop and implement fundraising activities and strategies to enhance and grow revenue for the program and the athletic department.
- Perform other related duties and tasks as appropriately assigned by the AVP for Athletics.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrated abilities to work effectively in a small college setting and ability to balance student athlete needs within a student development prospective
Will supervise student-athletes, assistant coaching staff, and potential Graduate Assistants.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred from accredited college or university
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred
- 3+ years of sport-specific head coaching experience at the intercollegiate level.
- 5+ years of sport-specific head coaching experience at the intercollegiate level preferred.
- 2+ years of sports performance experience in intercollegiate athletics.
- Working knowledge of USCAA and NAIA rules and regulations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suites
- AED/CPR/First Aid certification preferred
- Valid Driver’s License/State ID preferred