The Head Men’s Basketball Coach primary responsibility is to lead the men’s basketball program in a manner that directly aligns with the mission and values of Simpson University and the Simpson University Athletic Department. The Head Men’s Basketball Coach will be responsible for oversight and administration of all aspects of the program which will include recruiting, player development, coaching, fundraising, compliance, budget management, and developing a positive and Christ-centered culture.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years successful collegiate coaching and recruiting experience.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a strong Christian role model/mentor for student-athletes.
- Demonstrated ability to intentionally contribute to the spiritual development of student-athletes.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate faith in teaching, coaching and team culture.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a recruiting plan to attract, recruit, and retain quality student-athletes who are an institutional fit and can succeed at Simpson University.
- Must have a clear plan for academic success and accountability of student-athletes.
- Ability to demonstrate strong communication skills, both written and interpersonal.
- Demonstrated ability develop a competitive sports program with knowledge of NAIA rules and regulations.
- Ability to demonstrate strong communication skills, both written and interpersonal
- Demonstrated ability to teach, organize and run an efficient practice.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Must be proficient in technology, spreadsheets and Microsoft Office software applications.
- Self-starter, highly motivated and well-organized
- Provide Christ-centered, servant-leadership in all areas of the basketball program.
- Provide accountability and discipline for student-athletes spiritually, socially, academically and athletically.
- Recruit and retain quality student-athletes who can succeed academically and are an institutional fit.
- Maintain established program roster size goal and discount rate established by the university.
- Effectively manage operating budget.
- Supervises assistant coaches in accordance with Simpson University policies and procedures.
- Acquire Class B Driver’s license and provide driving support for team travel.
- Must possess current certification in First Aid and CPR.
- Coordinate team travel.
- Organize and run summer basketball camps in coordination with the university advancement office.
- Meet established annual fundraising goals.
- Assist with gameday management with other sports as needed.
- Know and comply with all conference rules and requirements for basketball, including stats, game hosting, etc.
- Effectively use social media to promote basketball program.
- Have awareness, accountability and educate student-athletes on the proper use of social media.
- Personal relationship with Jesus, a vibrant Christian faith, and a commitment to Christian community; capable of sharing faith and engaging in conversations about Christ.
- Demonstrate Simpson University Values in the performance of all duties.
- Maintain lifestyle in accordance with Simpson University Lifestyle Policy in Staff Handbook
- Maintain the confidentiality of information, data and records. Properly use tact, diplomacy, discretion and judgment
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills in the performance of job duties.
- Demonstrate good organizational and communication skills in the performance of job duties.
- Supervises employees in accordance with Simpson University policies and procedures (for supervisory positions)
- Support the overflow needs of other departments within the respective university area.
- Perform other duties in accordance with this position as deemed necessary by the immediate supervisor.