The Head Coach, Men’s Basketball is directly responsible for creating plays and schemes for game day. They are responsible for directing the team during competition and practices, conducting team meetings, implementing schedules, developing, and evaluating student-athletes.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coaching student-athletes at all practices, scheduled games/competitions, and post season; helping to prepare team physically and mentally for competition.
- Direct game preparation and strategy.
- Coordinating conditioning and training schedules with Strength and Conditioning Staff.
- Oversee recruiting activities for men’s basketball department including:
- Travel to competitions and conduct home visits with prospective student-athletes
- Monitor prospective recruits and incoming correspondence
- View and analyze videos of prospective student-athletes
- Qualitatively select athletes most appropriate for the men’s basketball program
- Ensure academic assistance and monitoring.
- Act as a public relation contact as needed.
- Scouting and film editing.
- Coordinate team responsibilities with regards to all support groups within the athletic department.
- Educate new coaches/staff members on proper techniques and desired philosophies of the athletic department and the men’s basketball program.
- Follow all NCAA, Pac-12 Conference, and University of Arizona policies and procedures.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Commitment to academic and athletic success
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Sound written and verbal communication skills
- Possess a working knowledge of Pac-12 rules
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions
- Ability to multi-task with frequent interruptions
- Dedication and motivation to initiate, lead and support value-added projects
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivated, results-oriented, and has a positive demeanor
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including the ability to plan, establish priorities and successfully manage multiple priority projects
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive interpersonal relations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all organizational levels, and project a positive, professional attitude
- Bachelor’s degree
- Competitive playing and/or coaching experience at the collegiate or professional level
- Experience and knowledge of NCAA rules
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends
- Coaching experience at the collegiate level
- Coaching experience at the NCAA Division I level