Warner Pacific University’s Mission: Warner Pacific is a Christ-centered, urban, liberal arts University dedicated to providing students from diverse backgrounds with an education that prepares them to engage actively in a constantly changing world. Our hiring practices reflect our missional commitment to being a Christ-centered institution.
Warner Pacific University’s Commitment to Diversity: Warner Pacific University is committed to hiring staff and faculty with an intentionality that demonstrates the importance of having an employee community that reflects the racial and ethnic diversity of the students we serve. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Summary Description: The Head Coach is a part-time, benefit eligible position reporting to the Director of Athletics. The Head Coach is responsible for administering the sport in the best interest of the University, in concurrence with the policies and regulations approved by the Board of Trustees and the practices and procedures of the University administration, as well as the Cascade Collegiate Conference and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) rules and regulations.
Coaching and Student Athlete Development
- Manages and directs all aspects of the program.
- Organize and execute effective practice plans and does coach with fidelity.
- Monitors academic progress of student-athletes.
- Attends meetings as required per Athletics Director.
- Demonstrates interest in/aptitude for good sportsmanship, maintaining poise/self-control, teaching team to play hard yet fairly.
- Maintains accountability and discipline of team; refers student conduct issues to appropriate offices when necessary.
- Communicates issues of student, team, or staff commendation or discipline to Athletics Director as necessary.
- Coordinates team community service activities.
- Ensures student-athletes practice good sportsmanship and abide by team/departmental policies.
- Works closely with Athletic Training office for ongoing care, strength & conditioning, and injury prevention of student-athletes.
- Recruits student-athletes by following University, Conference, and NAIA policies.
- Notifies in advance the athletics office of visiting recruits and the needs required for the visit.
- Welcomes sport-specific recruits and families to campus on individual visits or designated campus recruit days.
- Meets annual recruiting goals for roster size and roster discount averages as set in partnership with the Athletics Director and Admissions.
- Maintains recruiting reporting via current reporting platforms.
- Develops strategic sport-specific recruiting plan in conjunction with the athletics office.
- Develops and promotes public relations and media efforts of the program.
- Recruits and hires assistant coaches in partnership with the Director of Athletics
- Schedules team travel arrangements including reservation and operation of vehicles, lodging, and meals with the sport-specific staff and the Director of Athletics.
- Ensures knowledge and compliance of current University, Cascade Collegiate Conference (CCC), and NAIA policies and procedures.
- Works closely with Sports Information Director for game management, statistics, releases, social media and recommendations of student-athletes for awards and special recognition.
- Serves as a welcoming host to visiting teams, coaches, officials, and spectators.
- Works closely with Director of Athletics, FAR, AAD for Compliance on all eligibility and compliance issues.
- Responsible for collegial, professional relationships with athletic administrators, game management, visiting school personnel and WPU program personnel as needed.
- Responsible to report any potential NAIA violations directly to the Director of Athletics.
- Maintains budget operations and follows departmental and University policies and procedures in regards to expenditures.
- (Maintains regular posted office hours and campus presence for student meetings, recruiting visits, and campus activities.) Be present in the office on a daily basis unless arrangements are made with the employee’s direct supervisor.
- Responsible for distribution, collection, and inventory of University-owned equipment and uniforms.
- Coordinates and leads sport-specific fundraising efforts and follows University and departmental expectations and policies.
- Partners with Athletics Director for fundraising as required.
- Participates in sport-specific and Warner Pacific University professional development opportunities when appropriate.
- Contributes to the support and implementation of the University Strategic Plan.
- Participates in campus-wide events such as Welcome Week, NSR, Common Day of Service, Founder’s Day, Core Theme Day, Homecoming, Campus Visits, Preview Day, Awards Banquet as required.
- Adheres to University policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates commitment to a Christian liberal arts education by upholding the mission of the University and abiding by the Employment Standards and Lifestyle Agreement.
- Exhibits commitment to inclusiveness and sensitivity in areas of national origin, ethnicity, culture, gender, and disabilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Coaching experience in a high school or collegiate environment
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written communication
- Ability to travel 50-75% during the season
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively solve problems and initiate and implement projects independently
- Ability to multi-task with accuracy and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in a varied-paced or fast-paced environment
- Master’s degree
- Head or assistant coaching experience in a collegiate environment
- Experience recruiting student-athletes
- Sport coaching licensure if available