• Saginaw Valley State University, a DII member of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic conference
invites applications for the position of Volunteer Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach to assist the head
coach to develop, promote and supervise all facets of the team; assist the head coach to develop and
execute strategies for the recruitment of student-athletes for highly visible, regionally and nationally
competitive team; assist the head coach to organize and direct all aspects of the men’s basketball
program, organizing practice sessions to enhance the team’s performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Demonstrated knowledge of and adherence to all applicable NCAA and conference compliance rules
• Ensure that all relevant institutional, conference and NCAA rules and regulations are followed.
Including, but not limited to: student-athlete eligibility, recruiting, financial aid, scheduling and
• Responsible for promoting a positive academic environment to encourage all athletes to strive for
• Assist in preparing and executing practice and game plans, strategies and alternatives which are
designed to bring success to the program.
• Assist with the recruiting efforts of the program.
• Assist in the planning of fund raising efforts, summer camps, and other activities.
• Assist in managing travel arrangements for the team.
• Perform related and other duties as assigned by Head Coach.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Supervision is received from the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Responsible for the supervision of students.
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Three years of coaching experience and/or collegiate playing.
• Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to project a positive and professional image in pressure situations.
• Experience and ability to positively interact with diverse student populations and groups.
• Physical and mental ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without
• Some work is performed in an office environment and within the campus athletics complex.
Basketball games and practices will be conducted indoors and on campus. Some evenings and
weekend travel are required.