As part of the Grizzlies’ marketing and fan engagement strategy, the Youth Basketball Coordinator will support all youth basketball efforts of the team, which includes camps, clinics, leagues, tournaments, and special events. This position will especially have a strong focus on partner acquisition and maintaining positive relationships – not only in Memphis but across the Mid-South region – to help maximize overall impact.
Partner Acquisition and Relationship-Building
- Research, identify and pursue partnerships with league operators – such as schools, churches, athletic centers, and municipalities – for Junior Grizzlies program involvement.
- Establish relationships with key stakeholders – such as coaches (i.e., middle/high school, college, AAU), referees, athletic directors, tournament operators, and the like – to discover potential alignment opportunities.
Camps and Clinics
- Assist in the overall administration of Grizzlies Basketball Camps, with duties including – but not limited to – customer service, equipment management and transport, setup/breakdown, talent integration, staff oversight, etc.
- Coach at or lead (pending level of on-court experience) select key programs.
- Assist in the recruitment of camp and clinic coaches and in the identification of new venues.
- Assist in the execution of the team’s annual Regional Caravan Tour.
- Assist in the overall administration of Junior Grizzlies Basketball Leagues, with duties including – but not limited to – uniform and equipment fulfillment, site visits and other activations/deliverables.
- Help ensure partner satisfaction to increase likelihood of annual renewal.
- Contribute to tournament growth by assisting with existing programming (i.e., MLK 3-on-3 Tournament, Jr. NBA Global Championship) and by helping identify and execute new tournament programming.
- Support relevant NBA initiatives such as Jr. NBA, NBA FIT and NBA Cares.
- Support relevant Community Engagement/Foundation efforts such as GrizzFit, Girls Summit, and the Grizzlies Police Basketball League.
- Leverage the relationships mentioned above (i.e., schools, churches, athletic centers, et al) to generate leads for the Group Sales department.
- Work promotional kiosks at assigned Grizzlies games, camp fairs and similar fan engagement events.
- Participate in quarterly Jr. NBA youth basketball calls as well as the annual Jr. NBA Leadership Conference.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree in Sport Management, Recreation, or related field, OR an equivalent amount of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 2 years prior athletic experience, either as a player (college or above), a coach, or an administrator.
- Knowledge and understanding of the grassroots basketball landscape.
- Dynamic and confident personality.
- Hard-working and highly organized, with ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work irregular hours (i.e., evenings, weekends, holidays, game nights) as may be required.
- Reliable transportation. (Note: This position involves regional travel – which at times may include overnight – with associated costs reimbursed.)
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Sales experience a plus.
- Knowledge and passion of NBA basketball.