A St. Patrick’s Day edition of the Daily Dirt…
- Word on the street is that a Power 5 job is opening today. Stay tuned….
- I have now heard from multiple sources that former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice is in play at Duquesne. His father, Mike Rice, Sr. played at Duquesne, and later spent four seasons (1978-82) as the head coach there. The younger Rice has also been the head coach at Robert Morris, and an assistant at Pitt, St. Joe’s, Chicago State, Niagara, Marquette, and Fordham. More on this search as I hear it.
- Luke Jackson is the “hot” name right now at Portland State. The former All-American at Oregon (and Oregon native) has been killing it as the head coach at NAIA Northwest Christian University (OR). He is 88-38 in his four seasons at the school, including back-to-back 25+ win seasons. After wrapping up his career with the Ducks, Jackson played over five years in the NBA after being drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers as the tenth overall pick in the 2004 draft. Another name making the rounds here is Western Oregon head coach Jim Shaw. The former assistant at Washington, Oklahoma, and St. Mary’s just wrapped up his second season at WOU.
- Staying in the Pacific Northwest…two early names that I’ve heard at Seattle are Ken Bone and Trent Johnson. Bone, who is currently an advisor to Mark Few at Gonzaga, has been the head coach at Washington State, Portland State, and Seattle Pacific. Johnson, who is from Seattle, has been the head coach at TCU, LSU, Stanford, and Nevada.
- Tom Crean will get a $4 Million buy out from Indiana paid over the next three years ($1.3 per year). The amount goes down if/when Crean gets a coaching or broadcasting job. It also sounds like AD Fred Glass will not use a search firm to assist him.
- Interesting name that I’ve heard surrounding the DIII Johns Hopkins search…Penn assistant coach Ira Bowman. The connection – JHU AD Alanna Shanahan took over in July after spending four years at Penn as the Deputy Director of Athletics and SWA. She and Bowman were also classmates at Penn where Bowman was a standout on the basketball team, and Shanahan a captain of the women’s lacrosse team.
- I have heard that TXRecruited’s Chris Wash had an on-campus interview for the open assistant spot at NJCAA Jacksonville College. Sounds like he’s the front runner here.
- After 12:00 today most updates will come via Twitter (@HoopDirt). DK will be out in Boston enjoying the games AND St. Patrick’s Day, BUT will stay connected.