Things are definitely picking up. Here are a bunch of things that I’ve heard…
- The search at Wyoming is underway. I’ve heard that AD Tom Burman is running this one in house without the help of a search firm. Early names such as former Nebraska head coach Tim Miles and Northern Colorado head coach Jeff Linder seem to be fizzling out. Keep an eye on Stephen F. Austin assistant Jeremy Cox here.
- I’ve heard from multiple sources that James Madison is “hyper focused” on current head coaches for the time being. Working on some names now…
- The name gaining steam at UNC Wilmington right now is Kentucky assistant Joel Justis. The UNCW alum has been on Coach Cal’s staff since 2014, and also served as the head coach at Davidson Day School in North Carolina.
- Keep an eye on UIndy’s Stan Gouard at nearby IUPUI. He’s killed it in 12 seasons with the Greyhounds (currently 24-6 and headed to the D2 tourney).
- Still early at Loyola Marymount, but I’ve heard a bunch of guys have already expressed interest. Early names that I’ve heard are USC assistant Jason Hart and Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield. I’ll have more names here soon.
- The Brian Katz situation is something that I mentioned to keep an eye on last week – it’s now starting to get some more attention. Katz whose contract expires this spring, was told on multiple occasions by AD Mark Orr that he would have a new deal. According to Joe Davidson’s report in the Sacramento Bee, Katz was told twice (July 23, 2017 and May 23 2019), that he would have an extension “by the end of the week” – obviously that never materialized. I’ll have more here shortly, but it would be a shame if tonight was the last game in Katz’ tenure at Sac State.
D2 Western New Mexico has offered their job to a current D2 assistant from their conference (Lone Star). Should be made official shortly.
- I can confirm that Chris Jones has not been renewed as the head basketball coach at USCAA Wright State Lake. No official statement yet from the school, but assuming this will continue to be a part-time job.
- The up-to-date (and growing) list of coaching changes at all levels can be found HERE.