A few things to wrap-up a busy week…
- Siena needs to do the right thing and name Carmen Maciariello as their head coach – quickly. He’s assumed the interim tag for now, but that needs to be removed if they want to bring some stability back to this program. After a one-and-done from Jamion Christian, a messy break-up the year before with Jimmy Patsos, and the Buonaguro Era (error?) from 2010-13, this program has not had sustained success since the Fran McCaffrey days. Siena AD John D’Argenio has to get this ship righted, and has the opportunity to do it with Maciariello.
- The HOT name at Montana State right now is Cal State Fullerton assistant coach Danny Sprinkle. The ’00 Montana State alum has been on the Fullerton staff for the past six seasons. He previously served as an assistant at MSU from 2006-08. This one is moving quickly.
- In yesterday’s Daily Dirt, I mentioned Indiana assistant Bruiser Flint at St. Joe’s. Now, I’m also hearing Notre Dame associate head coach Rod Balanis and Delaware head coach Martin Ingelsby here. They both have Notre Dame connections with current St. Joe’s AD Jill Bodensteiner. I have also heard that Parker will be running this search.
- A couple names that I’ve heard surrounding the search at Tennessee Tech are former Tennessee Chattanooga head coach John Shulman, and current Oakland assistant Tony Jones. Shulman has been coaching at the McCallie School for the past four seasons, and had previously served as an assistant at Tennessee Tech (1998-2002). Jones worked for Bruce Pearl at Milwaukee, Tennessee and Auburn. There are at least two OVC assistants involved as well.
- URI has posted a job for an assistant men’s basketball coach. I have heard that no one has actually left the Rams staff – the posting is just a formality. Apparently one of the assistants who was hired quickly last year needs to go through the official process.
- Former Delaware head coach Monte Ross is headed to Temple as an assistant coach (first reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer). Ross spent 2006-16 as the Blue Hens head coach (132-184), and was a long-time assistant at St. Joe’s before that.