Crazy, but there are still some D3 jobs open. Here’s a quick update on a few of those plus other things that I’ve heard…
- Plattsburgh State (NY): This job was initially offered to a candidate in August. The search was then re-opened a few days after the offer, with a new focus on someone with experience as a head coach. I have heard that they have now narrowed the field to 3-4 candidates, with on campus interviews taking place this week. I can confirm that three of the four are head coaches from the state of New York.
- Moravian College (PA): This one is down to four finalists – two current D3 head coaches (one from NY, one from VA), and two current D3 assistants (one from NY, one from PA). This one could be wrapped up any day.
- D3 Manchester University (IN) is also currently open – working on an update there. Tick tock…
- I have heard that J.P Hevia will be named as the graduate assistant at D2 Palm Beach Atlantic. He has spent the past three years as the Head Basketball Coach of the 17U South Florida Elite (AAU) and one year as the head basketball coach at Circle Christian School in Winter Park, FL. I have also heard that PBA will add Greg Saunders as a volunteer assistant coach. Saunders recently retired from his position as VP and Managing Director at PGA National Resort in Palm Beach. He is the brother of Flip Saunders and the uncle of Minnesota Timberwolves’ head coach Ryan Saunders.
- I can confirm that D3 Muhlenberg College (PA) has hired Tim Kaiser as an assistant coach. He will replace Mike Mailhot who became an assistant at the University of Chicago earlier this summer. Kaiser had spent the past two seasons as a graduate assistant at Heidelburg University (OH).
- Dennis Coleman has joined that staff at Carthage College (WI). He had most recently served as an assistant coach at Scottsdale CC (AZ) and has also worked at Miles CC (MT). Coleman is a Wisconsin native who has also coached HS basketball in WI.
- David Smith has been promoted to the full-time assistant position at D3 Trinity University (TX). Before joining the TU staff in 2014 as a volunteer, Smith had spent spent over 20 years serving in the Army. He retired with the rank of Major, and had also been the head coach of the Men’s All-Army Basketball Team from 2009-2012.
- Our coaching clinics section is filling up…check it out HERE.