A bunch of things going on as the season inches closer…
- With Kevin Gamble departing the Central Michigan staff for the NBA, word on the street is that Central Michigan head coach Keno Davis will the vacant slot with one of his former assistant coaches. More on this one shortly.
- I have heard that North Dakota State DBO Casey Matthews has departed the Bison staff and will head to Creighton. He had spent the past three seasons at NDSU, and served as the video coordinator at Southern Miss before that.
- It sounds like Toledo associate head coach Jason Kaslow is leaving the program. Apparently his wife, who is a sideline reporter for the Cleveland Cavaliers, just took at job with the Los Angeles Lakers, and he will be moving west with her. Kaslow was entering his tenth season at Toledo.
- Joey Flannery has been named as a graduate assistant at Villanova. Flannery is a two-time NCAA DIII National Player of the Year who led Babson College to a National Championship in 2017. He had most recently been playing professionally in Spain.
- Arkansas State has added Hayden Harkins as a graduate assistant. He played collegiately at Elmira College (NY) and had spent time working for the Hoop Group.
- Ten Skype interviews wrapped up at Brandeis. Here are my totals: 2 Ivy League assistants, 2 Patriot League assistants, 5 DIII head coaches, and 1 DIII assistant coach (a former DIII head coach). Sounds like the list has been cut, and finalists will be on campus within the week.
- Spoon River College (IL) is bringing back basketball, and has hired Chance Jones as their new head coach. It sounds like they will begin NJCAA play in 2020. Jones, who had been coaching high school basketball in the area, has previously served as the head coach at Blackhawk East Community College (IL).
- Ryan Miley has been named as the head basketball coach at NJCAA Hocking College (OH). He had been the head coach at Ohio State Mansfield for the past two seasons.
- Culinary Institute of America (NY), a member of the Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, has hired Max Magee as their new head men’s basketball coach. He was most recently an assistant at Archbishop Stepinac HS in White Plains. An official announcement is expected shortly.
- Mike Freilich will be hired an assistant at SUNY Oneonta. He had spent the past two seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Lagrange College (GA).
- Lamont Whitaker has been named the assistant coach at Vance-Granville CC (NC). Whitaker was most recently the head coach at Crossroads Christian HS. He was named as the 2017 Coach of the Year NCISAA Coastal Conference.
- The complete up-to-date list of coaching changes at all levels can he found here: HoopDirt.com Coaching Changes Tracker.
- Remember to follow HoopDirt.com on social media: