Some items from around the college basketball coaching world…
- Wichita State AD Darron Boatright commented on the Shockers search for Gregg Marshall’s replacement. He told 3KSN in Wichita that the university will wait until the end of the season before selecting a permanent head coach. Current interim head coach Isaac Brown will be considered for the position. More on Boatright’s thoughts on the situation HERE.
- Tennessee Martin beat Evansville 93-87 in double overtime last night in their season opener. The game was the first that the Skyhawks had played following the unexpected death of head coach Anthony Stewart. Interim head coach Montez Robinson commented, “I am just really excited to get this win for coach Anthony Stewart. This team and everything we were trying to do is what he put together. It was an emotional day for us – I thought the guys came out from the tip and played like they wanted to win the game for him.” More HERE.
- Siena head coach Carmen Maciariello blasted away on coaches not being “transparent and honest” when it comes to scheduling during this unprecedented time. “They’ll agree to play a game and all of a sudden … a team that they think is going to be an easier match-up becomes available and they say, ‘Oh, we’re going to go in this direction,’ ” Maciariello said. “Now I see why a lot of head coaches don’t deal with scheduling. You can talk to somebody and they can say, ‘Hey, we’re good to play a game,’ and then all of a sudden they remember they have finals and their administration won’t let them play. I always have a calendar (that shows) when our finals are.” More from the Times Union HERE.
- The Utah State men’s basketball team will have to play without its head coach when it faces BYU on Saturday. Aggies coach Craig Smith tested positive for COVID-19, the team announced Wednesday. Smith is asymptotic, per the team. More HERE.
- Dixie State head coach Jon Judkins led the Trailblazers to a memorable 74-73 win over North Dakota last night. The game was their first as a DI member. More on the historic win HERE.
- Coastal Carolina head coach Cliff Ellis is headed to Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. He’s the former head coach at South Alabama and Auburn. More HERE.
- Nominations for HoopDirt.com’s Coach of the Week presented by Just Play Solutions are due by Sunday night at 5pm. Email your D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and JUCO selections to [email protected]. Last week’s winners can be found HERE.