HoopDirt.com’s Daily News from the college basketball coaching world…
- UTEP released financial information regarding pay for interim men’s basketball coach Phil Johnson as part of an open records request submitted by KVIA. As an assistant under Tim Floyd, Johnson was making about $198,000 per year plus bonuses that included one month’s extra pay for making the big dance and another extra month worth of pay for winning the Conference USA championship. It’s not stated if these bonuses carry over now that he’s head coach. However, Johnson’s stated salary is a bit higher at $217,000 now that he has taken over as the interim head coach. The full story, including the salaries of the AD and football coach can be found HERE.
- HoopDirt.com mentioned on 1/9 the support that Kentucky associate head coach Kenny Payne has received for the Louisville job. Payne has now addressed the situation according to SECcountry.com. Payne said. “As a young kid coming from Mississippi, to be able to be on a national championship team and learn basketball from a hall of fame coach, I have love for Louisville. But I have an obligation and love for the University of Kentucky and the guys sitting in this locker room. It’s unfair to [Padgett] to have any coach mentioned, or any situation mentioned other than do the best job for your school right now. They should stay in the moment and try to win as many games as they can. That’s the best answer I can give you.” The full interview can be found HERE.
- The story behind Bill Self’s decision to wear a windbreaker during the Jayhawks game at West Virginia on Monday is a good one. From the Kansas City Star, Self is a suit-and-tie guy, but apparently he and West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins agreed on the fashion choice over a late-night beverage. Read more HERE.
- Good Article HERE on former Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar, and how he is doing in his first season as an assistant coach at Arizona. He talks about his firing, and his adjustment to being an assistant at Arizona. Very classy interview.
- The University of South Carolina Upstate athletics department will honor former head men’s basketball coach Eddie Payne on Saturday, Jan. 20 when the Spartans host North Florida. The Eddie Payne Appreciation Game will celebrate the legendary coach’s 15 seasons leading the Spartans. Payne will be recognized throughout the game with video tributes from various individuals he has impacted throughout his coaching career and will culminate with a special presentation on the court during halftime. More information can be found HERE.
- Kirkwood College (IA) assistant coach Ben Jacobson is dealing with some serious medical issues right now and could use some help from the college basketball coaching community. Please click HERE to support him.
- Last week, LSU-Alexandria’s Larry Cordaro became the quickest head coach to 100 wins in NAIA history, doing so in just 113 games. Now in his 4th season at LSU-A, Cordaro has won at least a share of the Red River Athletic Conference regular season championship each season, along with two RRAC Tournament titles. On a national level, he’s guided the Generals to the NAIA National Championship Tournament each year.
- The HoopDirt.com Coach of the Week presented by Just Play Solutions winners were announced yesterday. The full list of winners from the DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, and JUCO levels can be found HERE. Nominations for next week’s award can be sent to: [email protected]