The Head Men’s Basketball Coaching Instructor will direct, instruct and administer a John Carroll University Athletic program in compliance with applicable NCAA , OAC conference, and institutional regulations. This is a leadership position that will be responsible for providing coaching instruction and administrative support to other coaches and administrative staff while ensuring compliance with all related governing bodies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead instructor and coordinator for all elements of practices and games to include preparation, effective execution of drills, one-on-one development work with athletes as warranted and fulfillment of game day responsibilities.
• Develop and recommend strategies for a successful program including well organized practice plans and strategies as well as participation in the development and execution of game strategies.
• Monitor academic progress and meet with individual student-athletes to ensure academic success and compliance with university and NCAA academic standards.
• Mentor student-athletes as to proper conduct and decorum.
• Develop a program philosophy that is shared and communicated with all stakeholders.
• Develop plans to successfully recruit prospective student-athletes.
• Evaluates prospective student-athletes and in conjunction with the executive recruitment plans to enroll desired prospects.
• Set official visit itineraries for prospective student-athletes in compliance with NCAA requirements.
• Develop community outreach programs, fund raising and promotional activities in collaboration with internal staff and University Development.
• Represent department and institution to internal and external constituents.
• Responsible for ensuring that all administrative requirements for the team are effectively carried out to include: travel arrangements and itineraries; equipment and uniform purchases.
• Work in conjunction with the strength and conditioning instructor to design and implement targeted development and training programs appropriate to the specific needs of athletes and teams.
• Attend rules education, sessions and complete necessary forms for compliance.
• Follow proper procedures for purchasing and resource allocation and monitor spending.
• Supervise assistant coaches and athletic instructors within the program.
• Coordinate team player tryouts and selection.
• Attend athletic department meetings and collaborate with the Athletic Director / Assistant Athletic Directors on schedules, programs and engagement.
• Participate in pre-season and post-season meetings and programs as appropriate.
• Develop and provide instructor-led rules training to team, athletic department and others upon request.
• Responsible for positive public relations and communications with constituents including, media interactions and parents and alumni engagement.
• Provide proper game and practice instruction and supervision.
• Work closely with the Athletic Director in recommending league policy and procedure changes.
• Follow due process guidelines when disciplining athletes.
• Work closely with athletic trainers and follow injury protocol.
• Develop a team that appropriately displays the skills of the athletes.
• Responsible for developing or adhering to a system of budget management and accountability.
• Follow all University and NCAA policies and regulations.
• Meet all deadlines for paperwork (i.e. rosters, physicals, officials ratings, etc . . . . . ).
• Exhibit enthusiasm towards athletes and display respect for the entire program (i.e. officials, opponents, parents, schools, property, equipment, etc . . .).
• Dress appropriately and professionally for games, practices, recruit/family visits and other school/athletic functions.
• Foster school spirit by promoting other sports.
• Maintain fair, consistent, understanding and tolerant relationships with athletes.
• Maintain composure and exemplary conduct during practice and games.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
• Minimum of one (1) year of collegiate coaching experience or two (2) years successful coaching experience as head or assistant coach at the high school level or equivalent experience.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and maintain certifications in CPR and AED.
• Excellent organizational skills; ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work independently
• Ability to effectively communicate with diverse constituencies.
• Must understand and comply with NCAA , conference, and University rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to motivate students in a positive manner.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and organize effectively, teach fundamentals and techniques associated with the sport and experience with teams that are competitive and show evidence of being well coached.
• Demonstrated ability to provide positive leadership and to serve as a positive role model as a coach and colleague.
• Successful prior participation in the sport at either the high school, college or professional level.