Wright College is seeking a Head Coach for its Men’s Basketball team with a passion for teaching and learning, along with a strong commitment to the mission and ideals of the community college. The Head Coach oversees an intercollegiate athletic team and provides leadership in the development and evaluation of the team and individual student-athletes. Provides dynamic, strategic and visionary leadership designed to enhance student success through the focus on an “Academics-first Agenda.”DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruits student-athletes for participation in intercollegiate athletics.
- Implements the District wide Athletic Department strategy focused on an “Academics-first Agenda” designed to increase student-athlete success and assists the campus Athletic Director in monitoring student athlete academic progress.
- Assists players in reaching highest athletic potential possible through athletic training and leadership skills. Prepares the student athletes for competition through planning and conducting well organized practices and contests.
- Directs the identification and recruitment of new players to the program, including traveling to regional high school and club basketball events and showcases.
- Enforces and maintains an athletic program policy of educating and graduating student athletes. Works closely with the Athletic Director and Dean of Students, and other school administrators, faculty and staff to assure student athletes are academically eligible for a given sport.
- Plans and directs the training of student athletes, and assesses individuals’ abilities and skill level to determine appropriate team position. Conducts in-season and off-season team practice and conditioning programs including skills training and weight and conditioning training.
- Assists in assuring compliance with National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) rules and regulations for the specific sport. Closely monitors academic, conduct and physical requirements for each student athlete. In collaboration with the campus Athletic Director, completes and maintains records and statistics for accurate, mandatory reporting to the NJCAA and regional regulatory agencies.
- In collaboration with the campus level Athletic Director, prepares and manages the budget for a specific sport.
- Calls, texts or emails results of contests to the Sports Information Assistant by 10:00 AM the next business day, and supplies information to the Director of Athletics that can be used for publicity purposes.