The Head Men’s Basketball Coach manages the OCU Men’s Basketball program in a manner that reflects the values and mission of the department and University, serving as a role model and mentor to the student athletes in order to reinforce the highest standards of conduct. The Head Men’s Basketball Coach is a member of the OCU Athletics team and reports to the Assistant Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics.
Demonstrate an attitude and behavior that reflects the values and mission of the department and University.
- Plan, organize and conduct practices and athletic training programs that will result in a highly competitive men’s basketball program.
- Teach advanced level offensive and defensive skills, game and team strategies.
- Develop, and oversee the coaching skills of the assistant coach.
- Establish and enforce standards of conduct and behavior for team members.
- Remain current with and utilize successful coaching strategies and techniques.
- Responsible to develop and oversee a successful recruitment program of student athletes for men’s basketball; identify and recruit highly skilled athletes within the rules, policies and procedures established by OCU, the Sooner Athletic Conference and the NAIA.
- Coordinate recruitment activities with the athletic director, assistant coach, and other key campus constituents.
- Coordinate the development and of recruitment materials; approve final products.
- Develop a campus visitation program for prospective student athletes and their parents; maintain close communication with prospects and their parents throughout the recruitment process.
- Coordinate recruitment activities with representatives from the Office of Financial Aid and the Office of Admissions.
- Make final determination of scholarship offers to student athletes; staying at all times within the regulations of NAIA, Sooner Athletic conference, the athletic department, and the university.
- Meet recruitment roster goals as determined by the Athletic Director
Academic and Teaching Responsibilities:
- Teach varsity sports class for academic credit; following all requirements established by the academic unit.
- Develop and regularly monitor the academic status of each player; develop programs or services to support and encourage academic success.
- Develop a strategic plan that will significantly improve the 5-year graduation rate of team members.
- Ensure compliance with all Sooner Conference and NAIA rules by team coaches and players.
- Prepare competitive fall and spring men’s basketball schedules and present to Athletic Director for approval.
- Manage, assign and oversee all administrative tasks related to home games and events; schedule games & facility, hire officials and other support personnel, equipment set-up; communicate and coordinate game management responsibilities with the Athletic Director.
- Plan & lead team meetings or assign specific responsibilities to the assistant coach.
- Hire, supervise, and conduct performance reviews of assistant coaches.
- Initiate disbursement of scholarships to student-athletes, within NAIA and university guidelines after review and approval by the Athletic Director.
- Establish and regularly monitor all aspects of the budget, including requisitions, travel expenses, and other purchases; ensure compliance with all university purchasing and budget regulations; complete monthly reconciliation of charge card expenses and submit for approval to the AD.
- Coordinate maintenance and facility improvements.
- Attend departmental staff meetings and special events; provide leadership and support for departmental activities and efforts.
External Relations and Development Responsibilities:
- Increase the team’s visibility and presence on campus and within the Oklahoma City community.
- In conjunction with the Sports Information Director, develop promotional public relation pieces and plan on and off-campus public relations events and activities.
- Organize and develop an active booster club for men basketball program; develop club leadership, fund-raising and club activities.
- Develop and maintain a cooperative working relationship with faculty, students and staff.
- Develop a close working relationship with the local media.
- Develop a highly visible presence in the Oklahoma City community by participating in and speaking at local business club meetings.
- Develop and implement a plan to maintain and/or re-establish supportive relationships with alumni.
- Develop and administer basketball coaching clinic(s) to be held on campus during the off-season.
- Develop a close relationship with coaches of state and regional high schools and junior colleges.
- Prepare and implement a multi-year development plan that will substantially increase revenue and subsidize the university budget allocated for the men’s basketball program.
- Attend, participate and support university-wide activities and events; increase team visibility by supporting student-athlete participation in university activities and events.
- Develop relationships with campus student groups and other constituents to increase game attendance.
- Develop and administer youth soccer camps to be held on campus during the off-season.
Other duties as assigned by the Athletic Directo
- Thorough understanding of and commitment to NAIA rules and regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Knowledge of student-athlete recruitment principles.
- Knowledge of student-athlete scholarship process.
- Ability to demonstrate basketball skill and technique and other physical conditioning.
- Ability to establish a productive rapport with team members.
- Familiarity with academic requirements for student-athletes.
- Ability to apply budgeting and fiscal planning techniques.
- Ability to maintain a cooperative working relationship with faculty, students, staff, and the public.
- Ability to represent the basketball team and athletic programs including skill in developing promotional materials and skill in public speaking/presentation.
- Knowledge of fund-raising activities in support of athletic programs and teams.
- Ability to obtain a CDL for team travel.
- Technical fluency to effectively use computers, software, applications, and social media platforms as required.