A bunch of things that I’ve heard…
- Earlier today, I posted a Delaware State men’s basketball staff update. In the story, new DSU head coach Eric Skeeters mentioned that a third assistant will be named shortly. I can confirm that choice will be Stephen Stewart. A former player and assistant at MEAC rival Coppin State, Stewart has also been an assistant at Delaware, Loyola (MD), and Albany. This should be announced shortly.
- Former North Alabama assistant Eddie McCarter has been hired as an assistant at Shelton State (AL). Before joining the UNA staff back in 2011, McCarter had been an assistant at Arkansas Pine Bluff, and 14 seasons as the head coach at University of Texas-Arlington.
- Iona has named John Mateyko as their Director of Basketball Operations. He was most recently the head coach at nearby Five Towns College and also served as the head coach at Dowling College (NY). He has been replaced at Five Towns by his assistant coach Gregg Drzal.
- I mentioned back on 9/29 that former Seton Hall assistant Fred Hill was a hot name at DIII Kean University. I have now heard from multiple sources that the search has stalled, and they are scrambling to name a new head coach by 10/15. More on this as I hear it.
- I have heard that Steve Phillips has been hired as an assistant at DIII Williams College. Phillips had been on the Washington & Lee staff for the past two seasons. He has already been replaced at W&L by Hampden-Sydney assistant Matt Williams (full story here). This domino effect now has Hampden-Sydney head coach Dee Vick on the hunt for a new assistant coach. Great gig at H-SC as all of his former assistants have moved on to good spots. Will have that job posted shortly **UPDATE: Job is posted HERE**.
- Big day in the college basketball corruption trial today as defense attorneys should get their shot at Brian Bowen, Sr. More from Yahoo! Sports HERE.