Starting to get busy at the HD World Headquarters. Here are a bunch of things that I’ve heard…
- It sounds like Pitt AD Heather Lyke is moving quickly in her efforts to right the ship at Pitt. Lyke, who spent 15 years as a senior administrator at Ohio State has reportedly already reached out to former Buckeye and current Atlanta Hawks assistant Chris Jent. After wrapping up his professional playing career, Jent served two stints as an assistant at Ohio State, and has been an head coach in the NBA G-League. If Lyke decides to go with a veteran head coach, a couple of high profile names to keep an eye on here are Thad Matta and Tom Crean. Obviously really early here though. More on this one as I hear it.
- Some early names at McNeese State…BYU associate head coach Heath Schroyer (was at Wyoming with the current McNeese State AD), LSU Alexandria head coach Larry Cordaro, and Northwestern State assistant Jeff Moore. I have heard that a search firm will not be used here, and a committee will be chaired by an assistant AD.
- I’ve now heard from multiple sources that Lorenzo Romar could be in play at Pepperdine. Before becoming the head coach at St. Louis, and then Washington, Romar spent three seasons at Pepperdine (1996-1999) where they went from six wins in year one, to 19 in his final season.
- Most interesting rumor making the rounds is Tubby Smith to High Point (Scott Cherry was released there earlier this week). I don’t think this one has a ton of teeth right now, but Smith played at High Point (1969-73), and met his wife there. If the Penny Hardaway to Memphis rumors prove to be true, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out.
- Last season, Kim Anderson took a DII gig at Pittsburg State (KS) after being dismissed at Missouri. The 2018 version of Anderson could be Paul Lusk who was recently ousted at Missouri State. Multiple sources have reported that there could be interest here from DII McKendree University (IL). Lusk is an Illinois native, who has worked in the state at Southern Illinois and Southwestern Illinois. He also spent time as a small college head coach at Dubuque (IA).
- Early at Marist, but I’ve heard of at least two current MAAC assistants, and one ACC assistant interested in this one. More soon…
- I have heard that the search at DIII Gettysburg College is getting underway, even without an athletic director in place. It sounds like phone interviews are being scheduled by one of the assistant AD’s who is in charge of the search. So far, I’ve heard of four current DIII coaches who have expressed interest, plus a few Patriot League and Ivy League assistants. I’ll know more when the phone interviews are locked in.
- The complete up-to-date list of coaching changes at all levels can he found here: HoopDirt.com Coaching Changes Tracker.
- The HoopDirt.com Coach of the Week presented by Just Play Solutions winners were announced earlier this week. The full list of winners from the DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, and JUCO levels can be found HERE. Nominations for next week’s award can be sent to: [email protected]