A few quick things a we sit here watching The Sandlot for the 1000th time…
- Tarleton State (headed to the WAC next season) had Zoom interviews with 5 coaches on Friday. Depending on who you talk to, that is now down to either 2 or 3. Former Kentucky head coach (and current Ranger JC head coach) Billy Gillispie is in the final group. Some other names I’ve heard include a current head coach from the Southland Conference, former Western Kentucky head coach Ken MacDonald, a current D2 head coach, and former Texas Tech assistant Brian Burg (who just became the head coach at Georgia Southern – so he’s obviously out). This one could be wrapped up next week.
- Multiple reports surfaced yesterday revealing that Kansas State will hire Shane Southwell as an assistant replacing Brad Korn (became the head coach at SEMO. Southwell, a K-State alum (played there 2010-14), spent last season as an assistant at Robert Morris. Before that he worked for two seasons as a graduate manager on Bruce Weber’s staff.
- Missouri Western has moved quickly to replace Sundance Wicks, who became an assistant at Wyoming last week. They will promote current assistant Will Martin to become the new head coach. Martin had been on Wicks staff for the past two seasons. He has also worked as an assistant at NAIA Martin Methodist College, and a D1 staffer at both Tulsa and San Francisco.
- I have heard that the leader to take over at NAIA University of Rio Grande (OH) is Teays Valley Christian School (WVa) head coach Ryan Arrowood. He is a Rio Grande alum, who had previously been an assistant there. An official announcement is expected next week.
- The up-to-date list of coaching changes at ALL levels can be found HERE.