Today’s Daily News and Notes from around the college basketball coaching world…
- Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski will miss Wednesday’s game vs. Boston College as he self-isolates. Krzyzewski said that a member of his family tested positive for COVID-19 which has forced he and his wife, Mickie, to quarantine. Both have tested negative for the virus. More HERE.
- Alabama State men’s head basketball coach Mo Williams tested positive for COVID-19, the university announced. Williams hasn’t been in physical contact with anyone from the team since Dec. 16, when the program paused for ASU’s holiday break. The NBA veteran and first-year head coach returned for the new year and produced a positive test. Associate head coach Trey Johnson filled in for Williams in last night’s 60-44 loss to Jackson State. More HERE.
- As Villanova embarks upon it’s third Covid-19 pause of this season, head coach Jay Wright says it’s “brutal” for his players’ mental health. Villanova’s latest pause was announced Monday, just one day after the team returned to practice following a second pause. The first pause took place during the preseason in September. More HERE.
- A milestone night last night for West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins as his No. 14 Mountaineers rallied from 19 points down with 11 minutes to go to beat Oklahoma State on the road 87-84. The win was Huggins 300th victory at West Virginia and his 890th overall. More HERE.
- In yesterday’s News & Notes, I mentioned that former BYU head coach Dave Rose had suffered a stroke. There is now good news, as Rose is making significant progress according to his family. More HERE.
- The NCAA will stage the entire 2021 men’s basketball championship in Indiana, with the majority of the tournament’s 67 games taking place in Indianapolis. Selection Sunday is still scheduled for March 14, and plans remain to have the Final Four on April 3 and 5, with exact preliminary-round dates to be determined. Games will be played on two courts inside Lucas Oil Stadium, as well as Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indiana Farmers Coliseum, Mackey Arena in West Lafayette and Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Only one game at a time will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium. More HERE.
- Boston University players wore masks on the court yesterday in their opener at Holy Cross. Holy Cross players were not wearing masks during the game, but they will be on Tuesday when the two play again in Boston. BU has mandated that opponents wear masks when playing on campus. It is believed that Tuesday’s game will be the first where both teams wear masks while on the floor. More HERE.
- ICYMI: D3 Trinity College associate head coach John Zall has been tabbed as the new head coach at Vermont Academy. More HERE.
- The Week 6 HoopDirt.com / Just Play Solutions Coach of the Week award winners were announced yesterday. They can be found HERE. To nominate a coach for the week 7 award, email [email protected].