News and notes from around the college basketball coaching world…
- Houston assistant Quannas White led the #10 Cougars to a 77-67 win over South Carolina on Saturday. He was named as the acting head coach after both head coach Kelvin Sampson and assistant coach Kellen tested positive for COVID-19. Kelvin is expected to miss UH’s game against Sam Houston State on Wednesday. He is expected to be back on the Cougars’ bench against Rice, the head coach said. Kellen is not expected to be cleared until at least Dec. 15 when the Cougars take on UCF. More HERE.
- With Kentucky’s loss to Georgia Tech last night, John Calipari has now suffered two double-digit losses to unranked, non-conference opponents while coaching an Associated Press Top 25 team during his career according to ESPN. Cal’s Wildcats (1-3) have now lost three straight. More HERE.
- Congrats to Bellarmine head coach Scott Davenport, as his squad beat Howard 84-63 on the road last night. The win was Bellarmine’s first D1 win since moving from D2. “This is a night they’re never going to forget the rest of their life,” Knights Coach Scott Davenport said of his team, “and that doesn’t happen often.” More HERE.
- Congratulations are in order as well for Greensboro College (NC) head coach Jim Cantamessa, as his D3 squad knocked off D1 Longwood 67-64 yesterday. GC ended the game on an 8-0 run over the last 2:50 to seal the W. GC will face D1 VMI on Tuesday. More HERE.
- Oklahoma debuted the patch that they will wear this season as a tribute to former head coach Billy Tubbs who passed away on November 1st.
- The HoopDirt.com / Just Play Solution Week 2 Coach of the Week winners will be released later this afternoon. Last week’s winners can be found HERE. Nominations for Week 3 can be sent to [email protected]. Deadline in Sunday at 5pm.