The hunt to replaced recently ousted Marty Simmons is moving quickly at Evansville. It sounds like the search committee has been working hard over the weekend, and on campus interviews will begin this week. The names being mentioned here are:
- Calbert Cheaney – Former Indiana standout, Evansville native. The three-time All-American, National Player of the Year and 13-year NBA veteran had spent time on the staffs at Indiana and St. Louis, but was out of basketball this past season. Most see Cheaney as the clear cut leader here.
- Travis DeCuire – Head Coach Montana. Led the Griz to the Big Sky Championship this season (26-8) before being knocked out by Michigan in the first year of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday. The former assistant at Cal is 83-49 in his four seasons at Montana.
- Greg Gary – Assistant Coach Purdue. The Anderson, Indiana native has been on Matt Painter’s staff since 2011. Also served as the head coach at Centenary College (when they were DI), and has been an assistant at Duquesne, South Florida, Miami, Tulane, and McNeese State.
- Chris Hollender – Assistant Coach Missouri. A former all-conference player at Evansville, worked as an assistant at his alma mater from 2009-12. Joined Cuonzo Martin’s staff at Missouri prior to this season. Has also worked at Army, Mississippi State, and UMKC.
- Walter McCarty – Assistant Coach Boston Celtics. An Evansville native. Won a National Championship as a player at Kentucky in 1996. 19th pick in the ’96 draft by the Knicks. Also played for the Celtics, Suns, and Clippers. Spent three seasons on Rick Pitino’s staff at Louisville.
- David Ragland – Assistant Coach Valpariaso. Another Evansville native. Played collegiately at Southern Indiana. Has been at Valpo since 2016. Has also been an assistant at Northern Kentucky and Indiana State.
- Travis Steele – Associate Head Coach Xavier. The Danville, IN native has been at Xavier for the past nine years. The Butler grad also spent time on the staff at Indiana