HoopDirt.com’s Daily News from the college basketball coaching world…
- James Madison University has postponed its home basketball game against UNCW on Thursday, Feb. 8, and its away game against Elon on Saturday, Feb. 10. The games are being postponed due to suspected cases of mumps affecting the team and due to concerns for potential exposure to opposing players. Within the JMU coaching staff, there is one confirmed case of mumps and one probable case in an individual who has since recovered. Two other individuals have been identified as suspected cases of mumps with no confirmed diagnosis at this time. At this point, there is one possible case affecting a student-athlete.More on this situation from James Madison HERE.
- The trial for former Auburn associate head coach Chuck Person has been set for February 4th, 2019. Person and co-defendant Rashan Michel are scheduled for a jury trial in the Southern District of New York before Judge Loretta A. Preska. This past November, Person pleaded not guilty to six charges including bribery, fraud, and corruption for his alleged involvement with the NCAA pay-for-play scandal. More from Al.com HERE.
- According to The Wisconsin State Journal, the worst season in 20 years for the University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team has put some fans on edge. Some people are even wondering about the direction of the program under coach Greg Gard. However, the Journal reports that UW athletic director Barry Alvarez hasn’t lost faith in Gard despite the Badgers’ major struggles this season. “I feel great about Greg,” Alvarez said. Read more about the vote of confidence that Gard received from Alvarez HERE.
- From Belmont Vision: Belmont men’s basketball coach Rick Byrd grabbed his 773rd career win following Saturday’s victory over Morehead State, placing him 15th on the NCAA career wins list. On Jan. 27 after the men’s victory over SIU Edwardsville, Byrd surpassed former Louisville coach Rick Pitino, who had earned 770 career wins. More on Byrd and his climb up the career wins ladder HERE.
- NJCAA DI Grayson College (TX) will be bringing back men’s basketball, and they plan on playing during the 2018-19 season. The program was cut after the 2010-11 season after legislature reduced funding to the school. We’ll have the job posting soon as they search for a head coach. More from Grayson College HERE.
- Yesterday, HoopDirt.com released the first Coaching Tracker of 2018. For up-to-date coaching changes so far during the 2017-18 season, please click HERE.
- The HoopDirt.com Coach of the Week presented by Just Play Solutions winners were announced earlier this week. The full list of winners from the DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, and JUCO levels can be found HERE. Nominations for next week’s award can be sent to: [email protected]