I have now heard from multiple sources that the search has been narrowed to five candidates at the University of North Alabama. UNA becomes a full-time DI member next season and will join the ASUN conference. I’ve heard the final group includes five of these seven:
- TJ Cleveland – Assistant Coach Arkansas. Played for the Razorbacks, and has been an assistant there for the past seven seasons. Also been an assistant at Alabama-Birmingham and Missouri.
- Larry Cordaro – Head Coach LSU Alexandria. Led his team to the NAIA DI National Championship game this season. Is 115-17 in four seasons at LSUA.
- Brock Morris – Was an assistant at South Alabama last season. Is an Alabama native and a graduate of the University of Alabama. Has also worked at Louisiana-Lafayette and Southern Idaho.
- Philip Pearson – Had spent the past nine seasons on the staff at Georgia, serving most recently as the associate head coach. Alabama native who played and coached at Alabama. Has also been an assistant at Arkansas-Little Rock and Murray State.
- Tony Pujol – Assistant Coach Wyoming. Has been on the Cowboys staff for the past two seasons. Spent five years as an assistant at Alabama, and also worked at VCU.
- James Strong – Assistant Coach Belmont. The Huntsville, Alabama native has spent the last seven seasons at Belmont. Former player at Vanderbilt who also spent six seasons on the Commodores staff.
- Cliff Warren – Associate head coach UMass. Former head coach at Jacksonville – won Atlantic Sun Championships in 2009 and 2010. Has also worked at Maryland, Georgia Tech, and Siena.
I have heard that on-campus interviews will be held next week. More on this one as I hear it.