Some things that I’ve heard while wondering why the Patriots didn’t a) draft a defensive player, and b) passed on Lamar Jackson last night…
- Former VCU standout Joey Rodriguez will land on Jeremy Ballard’s new staff at Florida International. Rodriguez was the Director of Player Development at his alma mater last season (Ballard was the associate head coach at VCU last season). An official announcement is expected shortly.
- The odd situation at Siena continues…apparently Roger Wyland from WNYT jumped the gun a bit when he tweeted that Mount Saint Mary’s head coach Jamion Christian has been hired at Siena. Adam Zagoria then shared a text where Siena officials apparently denied the report. I tweeted earlier yesterday that Christian was HOT at Siena, and stand by that one. He’s definitely still in play, and could be officially hired shortly. It also sounds like Le Moyne head coach Patrick Beilein is no longer in the mix. More on this one as it continues to develop.
- Marty McGillan, who spent last year on the WBB staff at Minnesota has been named as an assistant at Longwood. This was announced at a presser yesterday by new head coach Griff Aldrich, and first reported by our friends over at Lancers Blog. Before joining the Gophers staff last season, had served as an men’s assistant at Winthrop and Kennesaw State.
- An early HOT name at Odessa College (TX) is former UTEP assistant Kris “Bucket” Baumann. Prior to his two-year stint at UTEP, Baumann spent four years as the head coach at Trinity Valley CC, where he went 110-26. He also spent three seasons as the head coach at Lamar CC (2001-04) and six at Garden City CC (2006-12). More names here as I hear them.
- I can confirm that Jay Jenkins has been named as an assistant coach at JUCO Rend Lake College (IL). He had previously served as the head coach at Kansas Christian College.
- The complete up-to-date list of coaching changes at all levels can he found here: HoopDirt.com Coaching Changes Tracker.
- Remember to follow HoopDirt.com on social media: