Finally back from 10 days on the beach – catching up on a bunch of things…
- Utah State will hire Spencer Nelson to replace Chris Jones as an assistant coach. Nelson is a Utah State alum who scored over 1,200 points in his career for the Aggies. He also played overseas after graduation from 2005-15. Nelson takes over for Jones who became the DBO at Utah last week.
- Jones County JC assistant Yusef Fitzgerald has joined the staff at Iona. He had been at JCJC for the past two seasons, and had worked at IMG Academy before that.
- I have heard that Gonzaga Video Coordinator Mike Hart has been hired as an assistant at Colorado College. Hart played in 112 games during his career at Gonzaga from 2009-13. He was also a three-time WCC All-Academic Team selection.
- Last week, I published some JC moves (Daily Dirt – JUCO EDITION). Here’s another move to add to the list: Panola JC (TX) assistant Ricardo Johnson has become a graduate assistant at Xavier under Chris Mack. He played at Ohio from 2010-14. Panola head coach Grant McMillan has hired Justin Greene as his replacement. Green was the 2011 MAC Player of the Year at Kent State, and has also served as a GA for the Golden Flashes.
- Tim Bross has been hired as an assistant coach at Chaminade University (HI). He has previously been an assistant at Hawaii and Hawaii Pacific. Bross has also coached HS basketball in Hawaii.
- Rhode Island College head coach Mike Byrnes has hired Matt Mahar and Cory Macchioni as assistant coaches. Mahar is the former head coach at Assumption College (MA), and Chaminade. Macchioni, a former manager at URI, spent last season as the DBO at Canisius.
- It sounds like Brian Urso will become an assistant coach at Indiana University (PA). Urso had spent the past two seasons at Chatham University (PA), and has also been a HS and AAU coach in the Pittsburgh area.
- Interviews are wrapping up this week for the vacant head coach spot at Hartwick College (NY). Here are the final four candidates in case you missed it last week: Hartwick Finalists.
- Austin Anderson has been hired as a Graduate Assistant on Jim Boone’s staff at Delta State (MS). Austin had been the top assistant and recruiting coordinator at the University of Maine at Presque Isle. Prior to UMPI, he was a four year manager at Alabama Birmingham.