Today’s news and notes from through out the college basketball coaching world…
- Tulane head coach Ron Hunter will not coach his team on Saturday vs Temple. He released the following on Twitter: “After being informed of my exposure to someone who tested positive for Covid-19, I am following the quarantine protocol and will be unable to coach my team Saturday against Temple. I have no doubt my staff and players will be ready to play.”
- South Carolina announced the following regarding their men’s basketball coaching staff: Due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols, South Carolina head coach Frank Martin, assistant coach Chuck Martin, and Doug Edwards, who handles student-athlete development for the team, will not be in attendance in Baton Rouge on Saturday. Assistant coach Bruce Shingler will be the acting head coach for the matchup vs. the Tigers, along with assistant coach Will Bailey, video coordinator Brian Steele, and special assistant to the head coach John Reynolds. More HERE.
- Hampton head coach Buck Joyner, Old Dominion head coach Jeff Jones, and Norfolk State head coach Robert Jones discuss the Capitol riots and social injustice with the Virginian-Pilot HERE.
- A good read from Sports Illustrated; “Calipari’s Decision to Kneel With His Team Is Worth the Blowback From Big Blue’s Red Base” More HERE.
- Great article from the News-Herald on second-year Cleveland State head coach Dennis Gates and the culture that he has built. CSU is currently 8-0 in the Horizon league – more HERE.
- Penn State will be emerging from a 17-day hiatus on Sunday when they travel to Purdue. Nittany Lions interim head coach Jim Ferry offered some interesting insight on how they are preparing, and added; “We’ve been complaining about not having enough games, now we’re going to complain about not having enough practices.” More HERE.
- The HoopDirt.com / Just Play Solutions Week 7 Coach of the Week winners were announced earlier this week. The complete list of winners can be found HERE. Nominations for the Week 8 award can be sent to [email protected].