Busy Monday already with the announcements that Trent Johnson is out at TCU and James Madison has parted ways with Matt Brady. I expect lot more movement today, especially with rumors swirling about Oklahoma State and Tulane…
Here are some things that I heard over the weekend:
- The search at St. Louis is in the very early stages. I’ve spoken to a few high major assistants who have been told the same thing…while they will be considered, SLU is really looking for a current head coach with a track record of success. More on this one as it develops.
- I mentioned Drexel last week (DI search update) and their efforts to replace Bruiser Flint. It now sounds like interviews are under way. One name that I’ve heard is Wagner College head coach Bashir Mason. He is a 2007 Drexel graduate who has led Wagner to a 22-10 record this year. His Seahawks will face St. Bonaventure in the opening round of the NIT on Wednesday.
- Interesting search at UTSA. Early on, a lot of people were on the Billy Gillispie band wagon. The former Kentucky and Texas A&M head coach has had a great run this season at Ranger JC, but I’m hearing that he is unlikely to be the choice. According to several sources, UTSA is targeting minority candidates, and Texas assistant coach David Cason is high on that list.
- Obviously Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley is the hot name at Rutgers. AD Pat Hobbs has said that he wants to get this done quickly. Hurley, a Jersey native who played for his father Bob at St. Anthony’s and and then went on to play at Seton Hall, was involved the last time the job was open (with a different AD in charge.) It sounds like if Hobbs and Rutgers can show a commitment to ratchet things up, Hurley could be their man.
- Central Florida AD Danny White has hired Parker to help with their search. This is a powerhouse combo – names will be hard to come by on this one. They need to come up with a big-time hire here, and I’m betting they will. I’ll keep you posted if I hear anything.
- I have heard San Francisco will start talking to candidates this week. A few interesting names surrounding this one – I hope to be able to go with them by mid-week.