By AJ Nelson, HoopDirt.com staff writer
Congratulations to the following coaches who have been selected as the Week 2 HoopDirt.com Coach of the Week presented by Just Play Solutions. These coaches are now eligible to receive the HoopDirt.com National Coach of the Year Award presented by Just Play Solutions which will be announced at the conclusion of the 2020-21 college basketball season.
This is the sixth season that HoopDirt.com has run the Coach of the Week and Coach of the Year programs. This season’s previousweekly winners, and a list of all-time COY winners can be found following this week’s honorees.
This season will be a bit different, however. As college basketball adjusts to life with COVID, so will we. Not every level will be honored on a weekly basis – we will honor as many of the levels as possible provided enough games are played. It’s different than in the past, but we still hope to have enough weekly winners at each level to name a Coach of the Year (NCAA DI, D2, D3, NAIA, and JUCO) at the end of the season
To nominate coaches for future weeks, please email [email protected] with your selection(s).
The Week 2 winners are:
NCAA DI: Mike Magpayo – University of California, Riverside
Coach Magpayo picked up the first two victories of his career this week, making history in the process. His Highlanders began the week by heading to the Las Vegas Bubble on fewer than 24-hours notice to take on Washington. UC Riverside led for over 38 minutes on the way to an emphatic 57-42 victory over the Pac-12’s Huskies. With this win, Coach Magpayo became the first ever Filipino, as well as Asian, head coach to win a Division I game. UC Riverside kept rolling on Sunday, as they knocked off Denver 83-63 on the road. Now 2-1 on the season, Coach Magpayo’s Highlanders will look to make it three straight wins when they travel to take on Northern Arizona on Thursday.
NCAA DII: Brian Good – Wingate University
NCAA DIII: No week 2 winner awarded
NAIA: Dugan Lyne – Martin Methodist College
With two impressive wins this week, Coach Lyne and Martin Methodist remained unbeaten on the season. The RedHawks opened the week on Thursday with a closesly-contested 79-76 victory over perennial powerhouse Pikeville. On Saturday, Martin Methodist hosted 15th-ranked University of the Cumberlands, who was coming off of a win against No. 1 Georgetown (KY) just two days prior. The 90-85 RedHawk triumph improved their record to a perfect 5-0 on the season, and marked UC’s first loss of the campaign. Martin Methodist will look to keep the good times rolling when they face off against Shawnee State on Thursday.
JUCO: No week 2 winner awarded
2020-21 HoopDirt.com / Just Play Solutions Coach of the Week Winners
NCAA DI: Mark Few – Gonzaga University
NCAA DII: Jeff Horner – Truman State University (MO)
NCAA DIII: Clif Carroll – University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (TX)
NAIA: Greg Tonagel – Indiana Wesleyan University
JUCO: No week 1 winner awarded
Previous HoopDirt.com Coach of the Year Award Winners:
- 2019-20: Joe Gallo – Merrimack College
- 2018-19: Kelvin Sampson – University of Houston
- 2017-18: Porter Moser – Loyola University Chicago
- 2016-17: Chris Collins – Northwestern University
- 2015-16: Roy Williams – University of North Carolina
- 2019-20: Fred Watson – Miles College (AL)
- 2018-19: Ben McCollum – Northwest Missouri State
- 2017-18: Andy Bronkema – Ferris State (MI)
- 2016-17: Ben McCollum – Northwest Missouri State
- 2015-16: Josh Schertz – Lincoln Memorial University (TN)
- 2019-20: Elliot Steinmetz – Yeshiva University (NY)
- 2018-19: Dale Wellman – Nebraska Wesleyan University
- 2017-18: Eric Bridgeland – Whitman College (WA)
- 2016-17: Stephen Brennan – Babson College (MA)
- 2015-16: John Tauer – University of St. Thomas (MN)
- 2019-20: Colby Blaine – College of Idaho
- 2018-19: Chris Briggs – Georgetown College (KY)
- 2017-18: Craig Doty – Graceland University (IA)
- 2016-17: Kevin Burton – Union College (KY)
- 2015-16: Larry Cordaro – LSU-Alexandria
- 2019-20: Randy Casey – Milwaukee Area Technical College
- 2018-19: Billy Gillispie – Ranger College (TX)
- 2017-18: Paul Cisek – Brookdale Community College (NJ)
- 2016-17: Todd Lorensen – Southwestern Community College (IA)
- 2015-16: Craig Doty – Rock Valley College (IL)
- 2018-19: LeShawn Hammett – Penn State Wilkes-Barre
HoopDirt.com is the largest website in the country dedicated specifically to college basketball coaching news, jobs, and rumors at all levels. HoopDirt.com brings a unique insider perspective to the world of college basketball coaching – it was founded by college coaches as a way to help the college basketball community stay informed of what is going on in the coaching profession. HoopDirt.com currently has a Twitter following of over 41,000, and receives nearly three-million page views per month.
About Just Play Solutions
Just Play Solutions has become the market leader in coaches’ workflow. A platform to help coaches prepare playbooks, automate scouting reports, research analytics, integrate and distribute video, manage recruiting workflow, and organize recruiting schedules. The end-to-end platform is used by over 700 customers across the country and internationally in football, basketball, and lacrosse.